Saturday, November 15, 2014

Feature: AHS High School Musical


High School Musical Comes to Local Stage

By Tracie Schardein


Abilene High School’s musical opens Thursday, November 20 at the high school auditorium and continues Saturday night before wrapping up with a matinee performance on Sunday.  There are no shows on Friday, November 21. AHS’s rendition of the popular Disney movie High School Musical begin at 7:00 for the two evening shows; Sunday’s matinee starts at 3:00. The performances were postponed two weeks due to unforeseen medical issues within the director’s family. Reserved tickets to all performances are still available for $8.00 at the high school office or at Dr. Jeff Luty’s office at 1000 N. Brown.

Most people would at least recognize the name High School Musical due to it’s huge popularity and global marketing success, which even landed it as the subject of an October 27, 2008, Time magazine article titled “How High School Musical Conquered the World.” According to the article’s author, Carla Power,“It’s a rare human who hasn't at least heard of the Disney tween hit, given the passion of its fans and the zeal of Disney's promotion.” 

Mary Graefe, AHS junior, who plays Sharpay Evans agreed that it’s a well-known show, but encourages people to see the movie favorite on stage, “This show is really fun. It’s high energy. It’s a show that a lot of people know, so seeing it on stage instead of just on your screen will be a really different experience.”

Senior Erik Hageman plays the role of Troy when he returns to the stage in his second high school musical. “I was hoping to get either the role of Troy or Chad because I feel like I can relate to them better, and also because who wouldn't want to be Troy Bolton?”

According to the Time article,” the archetypes of Gabriella the brainy new girl in town, Troy the jock and Sharpay the diva travel well, as do the poppy songs and the themes of first love, cliques and friendship.”  AHS musical newcomer, Madison Roth, junior, plays Gabriella.  “I really am into music and singing, but I’d never actually done theatre. I just decided that I’d give it a try this year,“ explained Roth. “I think I would’ve regretted it if I wouldn’t have tried out for it.”

Veteran performer Jordan Luty, senior, had nothing but praise for Roth, “She’s really fantastic.  She has such a nice voice. She’s very talented and everyone’s going to come up here and see that. I just love her.” Luty was cast as Ryan Evans, Sharpay’s brother. This is Luty’s fourth musical at the high school, and he’s also been in many Great Plains Theatre productions, along within shows in Salina and Junction City venues.  “I just love, love, love, love to do the arts and I love when people support the arts. I love participating in them, and that’s why I keep coming back,” said Luty.

High school teacher and musical director Danette Whitely is in her second decade of directing, with nine of those years at AHS.  What keeps Whiteley coming back? “I just really enjoy watching the kids interact with one another.  It’s just kind of a family,” said Whiteley, who encouraged newcomers to audition for future productions. “We’ve got kids that are very strong vocally that are very limited in their dancing, or they’re a really good dancer, but maybe don’t have as much experience with acting or singing.  We have the gamut. We take ‘em all. We try to find a place for all the kids just to give them the experience to be on stage, and give them a place to belong, and a way to be committed to the school, and be involved in activities because that’s a really important part of kids’ education,” said Whitely.

Whiteley had praise for the entire cast. “Really the kids are so talented that just about any of them could play just about any role. They’re just a good group of kids,” but one did surprise her.  “I guess the biggest surprise for me was probably Madison Roth. She hasn’t auditioned for a musical before, and she came in, and she’s like ‘I can sing, but I don’t know if I can act or dance,’ but (she’s) done an outstanding job. She’s done a great job with the role, and for her first experience on stage, I think she’s going to do fantastic, predicted Whiteley.


Keep up-to-date with everything Abilene with the the ABILENE KANSAS app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app_abilenekansas.layout&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/abilene-kansas/id898132014?mt=8

1 comment:

  1. If my schedule were not full I would most certainly want to attend this show!

    ReplyDelete